Founder and CEO of NPI Governance Consulting (a leading B-BBEE advisory and project management company) and Noko Pioneer Investments (a Broad-Based investment holdings company), Israel is passionate about Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (B-BBEE) and the economic transformation of South Africa. Israel studied Law and Social Sciences at the University of Warwick in the UK and has a LL.B in Business Law from Coventry University, UK.
Israel focuses on developing and executing strategies that enable companies to better position themselves in the market. He assists clients to develop partnerships with companies and organisations that implement “business-sense” enterprise development, socio-economic development and BEE strategies. He also serves on a variety of Boards.
Israel’s scope of expertise in the corporate/commercial sector is broad and includes mergers, acquisitions, acting as advisor on B-BBEE joint venture structure, and company formation and re-organisation. His extensive experience in business entity formation and governance matters, M&A, and B-BBEE financing transactions in a wide variety of sectors is well known. In addition to handling B-BBEE transactions, Israel advises boards of directors with respect to fiduciary duty and other corporate governance issues. Having worked with a number of multinational clients, he has advised on the implementation of equity equivalents, B-BBEE compliance and has strong relations with the Department of Trade and Industry, the verification industry, and various transformation stakeholders.
Israel has international experience in both public and private sectors and consults in France, Switzerland, UK and South Africa. Having worked at the United Nations Environmental Programme, the Canadian High Commission Trade Office (as Trade Commissioner) in South Africa, Enablis (as Head of Partnerships) and in the financial services industry, Israel has assisted a number of Canadian companies to understand B-BBEE and how it impacts their business. Israel also presented Canada’s Clean Development Mechanism programmes and private sector expertise to over 50 companies in South Africa during the World Summit on Sustainable Development (WSSD). A sought-after commentator on transformation and sustainable development, he is often invited to speak at conferences.
Current Directorships and Committee Members
- BankSETA (Non-Executive Director)
- Hydro Power Equipment (Pty) Ltd (Non-Executive Director)
- Micro Finance South Africa (MFSA) (Non-Executive Director)
- Inyathelo: The South African Institute for Advancement (Trustee)
Academic and Professional Qualifications
- LL.B in Business Law, Coventry University, UK
- Certificate in Law and Social Sciences, University of Warwick, UK
- Associate Certified Sustainable Assurance Practitioner (AS1000AA), UK
- Certificate in Financial Markets, Stanlib
- Certificate in Financial Valuations, BETA Finance
- Certificate in Systems Administration, Government of Canada
- Merger and acquisition advisory pertaining to B-BBEE ownership
- Tender B-BBEE bid submission advisory
- Strategic planning on B-BBEE
- Management consulting
- Ownership facilitation (B-BBEE merger and acquisition)
- Trust administration
- Risk analysis
- Business development
- Business modeling and strategy
- Enterprise development modeling
- SME fundraising
- NGO fundraising
- Establishment of the B-BBEE Commission
- Economic development obligations in the renewable energy sector
- Local community engagement in the IPP sector